Here are some of the events taking place in the Mahoning Valley this week. For more events, check out our events calendar and sign up here for our Weekend Matters newsletter.
NILES — Comedian/ventriloquist Jeff Dunham will bring his “Seriously!?” visit to Eastwood Field, 111 Eastwood Mall Blvd., at 7 p.m. Thursday.
Tickets can be purchased here.
Dunham will share the stage with sidekicks such as Peanut, Walter, José Jalapeño, Bubba J and Achmed the Dead Terrorist.
Dunham was recently nominated by Pollstar for “Comedy Tour of The Year” based on box office sales and was awarded Billboard’s Top Comedy Tour for three years.
He holds the record for the first, second and fourth most-watched specials on Comedy Central and was named one of Forbes’ ten highest-grossing comedians of 2019.
History program features Youngstown as an elopement destination
YOUNGSTOWN — The Mahoning Valley Historical Society will debut “Youngstown as a Gretna Green” at noon Thursday as part of its monthly Bites and Bits of History online video presentations.
The program, which will be available on the historical society’s YouTube channel, will explore Youngstown’s history as a destination for many Pennsylvanians to get away to in the early 1900s and how a whole new industry was born out of those marriages.
The main presenter is Roslyn Torella, a local author and unofficial historian in the village of Lowellville for eight years. She earned a bachelor’s degree in labor relations and a master’s degree in business administration, with a focus on management, from Youngstown State University.
JCC offers a nutrition workshop, a Kornspan conference
YOUNGSTOWN — The Youngstown Jewish Community Center is offering a nutrition workshop from 3 to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through November 2 at 505 Gypsy Lane.
Participants will learn how to make healthy choices through the expanded food and nutrition education program. They will develop food resource management skills and improve the quality of their meals through nine free workshops. At the end, participants will receive a certificate as well as a free cookbook and grocery book.
To register click here.
As part of the JCC’s Newman Levy Lecture Series, Rabbi Mitchell Kornspan, a native of Youngstown, will speak at noon Wednesday at the JCC.
Kornspan graduated from the Rayen School, then went to New York to fulfill his dream of becoming a rabbi. His career spanned 47 years, including 20 at Congregation Ohev Tzedek in Boardman, and the last 15 years in Fort Wayne, Ind., where, upon his retirement, he was named rabbi emeritus.
To register for the conference, click here.
Feldkamp will speak at the “Art of Pitching” workshop
YOUNGSTOWN — The Youngstown Press Club is today sponsoring a workshop called “The Art of Pitching,” featuring Bonnie Jean Feldkamp of Creators Syndicate.
The Zoom program starts at 1 p.m.
Creators Syndicate, also known as The Creators, is an independent distributor of syndicated comics and columns for daily newspapers, websites and other digital media.
The workshop is free for Press Club members and $10 for non-members. For registration and payment details, email Adam Earnheardt at [email protected]
An award-winning freelancer and syndicated columnist, Feldkamp will offer real-world examples for effectively pitching stories to publications.
Information on finding leads, researching publications, writing pitches and getting real assignments will be shared, and attendees will receive a resource sheet on where to find leads.
A few quick shots…
- The Youngstown Summer Movie Series will premiere “Godzilla vs. Kong” at 9 p.m. Monday at Wean Park, 201 S. Phelps St., Youngstown.
- Kimberly Lynn Ford, Certified Yoga Instructor, is offering free classes for beginners at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through October 5 at Warren Farmers Market at Courthouse Square in Warren.
- Justified will perform at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Judge Leo P. Morley Pavilion in the Wick Recreation Area at Mill Creek MetroParks, 1861 McCollum Road, Youngstown.
- Lit Youngstown is bringing back its 3rd Thursday Writers Circle where attendees give and receive feedback on work in progress. The program begins at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Lit Youngstown’s office at St. John’s Episcopal Church, 323 Wick Ave., Youngstown.
- The Ursuline Education & Wellness Center, 4280 Shields Road, Canfield, is offering its next guided maze walk at 6.30pm Thursday. For more information, call 330-799-4941.