Pedestrian groupAustralia’s largest youth-focused publisher, is looking for a writer/producer to contribute to the next chapter of VICE NZworking on a 12 month contract as part of our partnership with the New Zealand Department of Social Development.
The right candidate will have their finger on emerging issues and will be driven to create stories that spark conversation. They will be comfortable picking up the phone and sharing VICE NZ stories in new and engaging ways on our social media platforms.
Reporting to the Head of Editorial and Head of Native Content, the role suits a young, emerging writer and producer with an excellent sense of what makes for good storytelling and online content.
You will be part of a two-person team, based in New Zealand, and will:
- Write and edit multiple stories a week, deep in the beats of love, relationships, and sex, for the Love Better vertical on Vice.com
- Work closely with Editorial Manager and Native Content Manager to engage audience.
- Work closely with publishers to maximize the impact of all the content we produce.
- Post stories directly to VICE NZ social media, brainstorming new ways to tell stories through these platforms.
- Accompany staff to filming and interviews if necessary
- Appear on camera when needed
- Champion and chase New Zealand stories that will fit well into the wider VICE brand
The position requires someone with:
- Bachelor’s degree in media, communications or journalism (preferred, but not required)
- 1-2 years of experience working in a fast-paced newsroom
- A proven background in sound writing and a passion for ethical media and journalistic best practices
- A unique tone or point of view
- Experience in producing different forms of media, not just written articles
- Experience optimizing stories for SEO
- Experience in content production and posting on Facebook and Instagram
This role is a full time position and will be based in New Zealand.
To apply, please send us:
- A cover letter in your best understanding of VICE’s tone of voice
- Your CV
- Any relevant examples of your past work
We look forward to meeting you!
*About VICE Media Group*
VICE Media Group is the world’s largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994, VICE has offices in 25 countries around the world and focuses on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international digital content network; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE TV, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nighttime news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a full-service global creative agency. VICE Media Group’s portfolio includes Refinery29, the global leader in women-focused media and entertainment; PULSE Films, a London-based next-generation production studio with outposts in Los Angeles, New York, Paris and Berlin; and iD, a global, bi-monthly digital magazine defining fashion and contemporary culture and design.
*About the pedestrian group*
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-focused publisher, reaching a unique audience of over 4.16 million Australians per month, and more 18-39 year olds than any other publisher. It is home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, VICE Australia, Refinery29 Australia, Business Insider Australia, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia and Kotaku Australia, as well as outdoor cinemas. It is 100% owned by Nine Entertainment Co., Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.